Interior Minister, Muntaka Mubarak, has cautioned against rising intolerance within both Christian and Muslim faith-based schools.
He urged educational institutions to avoid replicating discriminatory practices in mission schools.
Speaking on JoyNews’ Newsfile on Saturday, the Minister stressed the need for fairness, balance and respect for Ghana’s religious diversity.
Mr Mubarak, contributing to discussions on religious accommodation in second-cycle institutions, noted that the majority of Christian mission schools have maintained an open and inclusive posture over the years.
“Majority of the Christian schools are very accommodating,” he said. “I can say with authority that over 80% of these Christian-based schools are very accommodating.”
He cautioned, however, that some Muslim schools are beginning to adopt practices that mirror the very behaviours previously criticised in some Christian institutions.
According to him, this emerging trend must be addressed firmly to prevent further polarisation.
“Some of the Muslim schools are beginning to also do… I said no. What you are complaining about was wrong somewhere; we will not allow you to also do it here,” the Minister stated.
He added that certain institutions were beginning to insist that because a school was Islamic, students ought to perform ablution or be required to attend the mosque, regardless of their religious background.
Touching on the controversy surrounding fasting requirements in schools, Mr Mubarak acknowledged that fasting is one of the Five Pillars of Islam and mandatory for every healthy Muslim.
However, he warned against imposing related practices on non-Muslim students.
“During Ramadan, we won’t cook, we won’t provide lunch. We only provide the dawn prayer meal. If you want, you can keep the dawn meal as a Christian and eat it in the afternoon. That is intolerance,” he stressed. “Whether it is coming from a Muslim faith school or a Christian one.”
